Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Google
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Banner design by Helena, portrait by Eva

VisitSeoul.net

Government Website. READ MY REVIEWS! SEE MY PHOTOS! WHY SEOUL?

Friday, December 08, 2006

Woncheon Amusement Park & fallen leaves


It's 4:00 on Saturday and I just came back from a fall-like day with Chung. We took a bus to Woncheon Amusement Park: a 1190000sqm wide park built on woods and a reservoir.

Leonard Cohen says everything has a crack in it- that's how the light gets in. The park was old, rusty and fantastical, with the air of a ghost town. There were swan boats to ride around a pond, princess chairs knocked over and broken mirrors.

It felt like Canada's autumn, even though it's nearly mid-December. The trees were bony and had lost their leaves. We kept our cold hands in our pockets. Most of the rides weren't in use- just a few kiddy ones. Chung said it's the gaming influence. Boys would rather sit in front of a computer than ride the ferriswheel.

Leaving the grounds, we saw an old man in a toque beside an open fire. He was selling something. As soon as I asked Chung what, he approached the man and bought us a brown bag of what turned out to be baked sweet potatoes- 4 of them for 3 USD.

We hopped in a cab and he told the driver to swing by Ajou University. I got a good view and was excited about the nearby shops and bars. It's fun to see a new part of town. We ended up at a Japanese restaurant. I got a delicious, hot bowl of soup with beef, mushrooms and tofu. I don't remember what Chung ate. I was too mesmerized by the tiny orange fish eggs he brought to his mouth on chop sticks.

Tomorrow I'm going to watch his baseball game. He told me to bring a blanket to wrap around myself as I watch. We have so many plans for the future. Soon we're taking a train to the Oceanside where I'll tour the South Korean marine operation. A tour of the DMZ costs 70 dollars! This will be cheaper, and probably more interesting.

I have to get ready for the party tonight. I promise to catch up on my e-mails when I get home.

No comments: